Concerning the City Hall
The collection was opened to public in 1889 as well as ever since it has been housed in the structure of former City Hall and loggia. It is a Renaissance building from the very first fifty percent of the 15th century. Other public buildings generally square, the Bishop’s Royal residence as well as the Sanctuary, date from the exact same duration. The building was safeguarded as the monolith of society in 1964.
The Lapidarium is situated inside a spacious loggia, together with the old stone fragments, Middle ages wicker ornaments as well as the Renaissance spolias, while the things mainly from the period of the Very early Roman Realm have actually been displayed on the first flooring of the City Hall.
Concerning the irreversible event
Starts of lengthy as well as unstable history of the Archaeological collection of Osor get to back to the 18th century and relate to Dinaričić, the Diocesan of Osor who acquired the first collection of rock monoliths in the Bishop’s Royal residence in Osor, according to the documents by Alberto Fortis from 1771. A a century later on, the gathering passion of Bishop Dinaričić continues with Ivan Kvirin Bolmarčić, a church clergyman. As an amateur excavator, he undertook the very first historical expeditions in Osor in the period from 1874 to 1881, researching the city walls as well as the Illiric-Roman God’s Acre on the Lošinj side of the Kavuada channel, ultimately acquiring a reputable historical collection which consisted of a number of thousand products in 1880. In 1889 the archaeological collection of the parish clergyman Bolmarčić came to be the residential or commercial property of the Town of Osor, it relocated right into the structure of the Osor Town Hall and was opened officially to public. The Archaeological collection of Osor has been the earliest museum organization on the islands of Cres and Lošinj and among the earliest historical collections in Croatia as a whole.
From 2007, after various adjustments of status, overlook and also remediation, the Archaeological collection of Osor works as an independent division of the freshly developed Lošinj Museum. The historical material on display screen adheres to the daily life in Osor and also its location from the really starting to the medieval times. Different kinds of human production have actually existed – from ceramics as well as glass to items made from metal, from stone alleviation plastic as well as sculptures to numismatics.
The Roman symbol of belief, frequently known as “Tenet” originated in the first Christian areas in Rome as a short text which offered for the Catechumens, who were people preparing to be baptized in the Church, to discover it by heart and also state it in public on the eve of the Baptism. To the end of the fifth century the written type of the text was not permitted due to the fact that it was thought about a rigorous religious key. Osor “Creed”, unique worldwide, is the earliest preserved engraving of the Christian belief sculpted in rock, dating from the 5th to the 6th century. Both pieces, rather simple in appearance, are the remains of the old-fashioned stone tablet made use of as a tip for the Catechumens in the first St. Mary’s Cathedral in Osor; consequently, they are of excellent significance for the history of the very early Christianity.
Collection of Roman republican coins.
The Collection of Roman republican coins in Osor experienced a peculiar and also unusual destiny to be discovered two times. The first time an old peasant from Osor uncovered it by crash in 1889. He dug up about 500 Roman silver coins in a metal container with a cover. He maintained most of the coins for himself and also distributed a few to his buddies. The good news is for scientific research, 475 coins were conserved as well as they were checked out by Francesco Salata., a historian born in Osor who revealed his findings the actual year. The Osor Collection consisted of 212 most intriguing and also most valuable coins, others were marketed by the proprietor. The coins were buried most likely during the turbulent times of Roman occupation of this area in the 1st century BC. Throughout the 2nd World War people from Osor concealed their prize again. The Collection was taken into consideration lost for years up until 1971, when Osor parish priest received a letter from Italy which disclosed the place of a hiding place. Therefore, this treasure has actually become a part of the Archaeological Collection of Osor once more.
The picture of Octavian.
Among the 3 portrait heads of emperors which are kept in the Archaeological Collection of Osor presents Octavian, the very first Roman emperor, at the time before he was announced Augustus (the Exalted) in 27 BC. It is an “Actium type” of a portrait, because it was made after the well-known marine battle at Actium in 31 BC, when Octavian beat Marc Anthony as well as Cleopatra. It is likewise one of minority maintained Octavian’s pictures which show him with his head veiled. While when the picture was made there was possibly a variety of Roman people in Osor that were Octavian’s advocates and possibly his assistants in a battle against Marc Anthony. The picture of Octavian in Osor is the earliest depiction of a Roman emperor as well as among the earliest Roman sculptures ever before located on the eastern Adriatic shore until now.ELEKTRONIKA